the ramblings, rantings, ravings, and readings of one eron g. being from the San Francisco Bay Area of foggy California, eron g is usually angry or confused about something.
warning: this blog is rated R for language, alcohol use, and sexual themes.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I'll take outdated pop culture references for 200, Alex.

Reading over my latest issue of Macworld magazine, I came across their review of a musical dongle. It was about a little gadget that allows you to connect your electric guitar directly to your Mac. Not groundbreaking, since these things have been around for a while. However, it was the TITLE of the review that made me chuckle:

"It goes to eleven."


Now, this quote always brings to my mind Christopher Guest as a clueless guitar player in a "This is Spinal Tap." ...Which always makes me smile.

But then I thought about it... That movie was out in 1984. Would anyone under age 25 even get the reference?

Which then brings to mind other older pop culture references and movie quotes that don't just convey a message, but an entire scene. Are they also falling on the ears of a generation that just doesn't get it?

"We go to the mattresses."
"We're gonna need a bigger boat."
"Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes?"
"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food."
"Pork rinds? HWWUUAAAA!!"
"I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad'?"
"Zip, Zip, Zip. No Tooth Fairy, no Easter Bunny, and NO Uncle Mikey!"
"It's Ka-Ka-Ka-Ken! Come to ka-ka-ka-kill me!"
"Inconceivable!"

It boggles my mind to think that there are people alive today of legal drinking age that have no idea where these quotes come from.
*sigh*

Ah well. To use yet another: "I weep for the future."

1 Comments:

Blogger Max Marie, OFS said...

You missed one. A good one too.

"Laugh while you can monkey boy!"

11:22 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 Rated R