the ramblings, rantings, ravings, and readings of one eron g. being from the San Francisco Bay Area of foggy California, eron g is usually angry or confused about something.
warning: this blog is rated R for language, alcohol use, and sexual themes.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

No, not a Martini.

I added the "Hawthorn" to my list of approved Martini-type beverages while the wifey and I were in Monterey two weeks ago.

Before I get into it, I'll start by saying that, by and large, I completely and wholeheartedly agree with Joseph Dobrian:

While it is true that you can follow [a martini] recipe, substituting vodka for gin, and produce a liquid that some people will drink, believe me, it is not a martini, not no way, not no how. It is a concoction suitable only for those who have no soul and less guts.

I have nothing against vodka, but a martini is made with gin. You want vodka and dry vermouth? Order a kangaroo.

I have, and ever shall be, a proponent of the Gibson. But, I now add to the short list of acceptable libations other than the traditional Gibson: the Chicago Martini (aka the Collection Martini) and the Hawthorn. The Hawthorn is 2 parts vodka, one part gin. (NO, it is NOT a Hawthorn Martini, it is a Hawthorn.) When made with Grey Goose & Bombay Sapphire, and served on the rocks, it's great. But it really needs to be ice cold or on the rocks. When it starts to warm up... *shudder* rubbing alcohol comes to mind. This is one clear beverage that it is acceptable to shake.

But it still annoys me that I have to explain to bartenders what a Gibson is. So far, only ONE restaurant/bar I've ever been to hasn't questioned me on the Gibson. Hrmph. "Gibson, wet" is a lot easier to say than "A gin martini with 3 onions, 1/2 ounce of vermouth".

When we were in Washington DC at the end of May, I ordered a Gibson at the bar in our hotel (Hotel Sofitel) and the gal asked, "Bombay Sapphire?"

I nearly fainted.

And it was PERFECT. We wound up hitting the bar nearly every night we were there because the Gibson was a source of instant and pure joy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 Rated R