the ramblings, rantings, ravings, and readings of one eron g. being from the San Francisco Bay Area of foggy California, eron g is usually angry or confused about something.
warning: this blog is rated R for language, alcohol use, and sexual themes.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Saturday. Yeah, whatever.

There is no weekend.

I'm at work again today. Yes Virginia, there is no weekend. So instead of me taking a break and flexing my never-used leg muscles, I'm blogging. Bringing my message... to you.

You know, just to reiterate my birthday message to Panzer: if you can't be a badass, this ain't the gig for you.

My particular department is at the whims of other departments. Basically, when they're "done", they pass the game to us. Now ponder for a moment: what are the chances that anyone is done with a game on a Sunday night? Done with a game on Sunday... as opposed to Friday? Working through the weekend, instead of taking one.

Yeah. Fuckin' never.

When I'm a big famous video game producer, I'll be sure to remember these situations and push my team to work weekends so the other 20 departments that need to touch the software can take a weekend off and start fresh on a Monday.

Believe it or not, at this moment I am not complaining because this is the 13th day in a row that I've worked. I am complaining because it's close to Christmas and I should be with my family sipping eggnog and brandy instead of working on a game made for a dead console that no one will buy. I just don't get the logic in this. Pay me overtime, adding to the costs of a game that likely won't break even at sell-through.

Oy.

So if you think working at a video game company is all fun and games... you're wrong. It's work. Sure, there's the occasional rubber band war and the infrequent chair races down the halls, but usually: it's thankless tedium raking away the hours of your life.

And half the time, you won't even make it into the game's credits. It's a damn good thing that I'm a badass otherwise I might care about that stuff. Nope. Not me. I care about making sure the game that you buy yourself or for your kid or your nephew actually runs well. I care that the game is as solid as can be. I care that brings hours of enjoyment.

That's what I care about; not getting credit in the game. Cuz let's face it, if you hate the game, I'm out of a job. And a paycheck is a lot more important than one's name temporarily glowing on a TV screen.

But still... I'd rather be sipping that eggnog.

1 Comments:

Blogger panzerjedi said...

Poor guy, can I have your job then? Hmm... on second thought, maybe I'm better off where I am now. =D

12:19 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 Rated R