the ramblings, rantings, ravings, and readings of one eron g. being from the San Francisco Bay Area of foggy California, eron g is usually angry or confused about something.
warning: this blog is rated R for language, alcohol use, and sexual themes.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Of phones and men.

So... "the dude" bailed from EA not too long ago and has started up a new company with the idea that Apple's iPhone could be the device to bridge the gap between handheld gaming systems and mobile phones.

Personally, I'm all about portable gaming. I have my game on my mobile phone (yes... MY GAME!) and I love it. But the Blackberry is NOT the Nintendo DS... and I loves my NDS with a passion that rivals Ferris' love for the Ferrari. But as you might recall, some other mobile phone manufacturers have tried (and failed miserably) at bridging this gap. The difference here being: a third-party developer is making this bet, not the hardware manufacturer.

And while I completely agree with El Guapo that the iPhone is ready and able to run any uber-fun game that you could program for it, I'd like to sit down and chat about the decision to support ONLY the iPhone. It's a niche within a niche, and while it does have a following... what are the number of consumers on that device who play games? And how many of those folks will buy games for their iPhone with some degree of regularity?

So, NY... when do you want to grab a sammich and talk? I'm all ears, buddy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 Rated R